Please contact us if you are an employer wanting more information about the project or if you are a person looking to begin an apprenticeship.
Are you an employer that is ready to apply to the apprenticeship support program? If so please select the button below and fill out an application.
Frequently Asked Questions
(e.g., they were a general labourer in the company before registering as a first-year apprentice)
Yes – as long as the employee became a first-year Red Seal apprentice after the start of the project, it is acceptable that the apprentice was already employed with the same employer.
Yes – as long as the employee became a first-year Red Seal apprentice after the start of the project, it is acceptable that the apprentice was previously an apprentice in a different trade.
Yes – as long as the employee was not currently employed by another employer at the time the SME employer hired them, and they still qualify as a first-year Red Seal apprentice (did not progress to the next level), it is acceptable to hire an apprentice that was previously apprenticing with another employer.
Yes – it is acceptable to hire an apprentice if the employee is registered with a union as a first year apprentice, whether or not the union is the official employer and paying the apprentice’s salary.
If the employer is the union (paying the apprentice’s salary), and provided that the union meets all the requirements to qualify as a small and medium-sized employer under the Apprenticeship Service program (i.e., must have 499 paid employees or less at the time that it receives the funding) then the union would receive the financial incentive. If the employer is paying the apprentice’s salary, regardless of whether the apprentice is registered by the union, then the employer would receive the financial incentive and additional supports.
Financial supports will be paid as follows:
- Payment of $5,000 made after the employer signs a Sub-Agreement with FPDI and a new first-year apprentice is hired and
- Upon receiving a copy of the registered apprenticeship training agreement between the apprentice and the employer that has been registered with the Provincial or Territorial apprenticeship authority.
- Additional payment of $5,000 made to the employer only if the first-year apprentice voluntarily attests to being from at least one of the equity-deserving groups – women, persons with disabilities, Indigenous people, members of the LGBTQ2+ communities, newcomers, and visible minorities.
- The employer can receive a maximum of $10,000 per apprentice (2 apprentices per fiscal year)
A copy of the registered apprenticeship training agreement between the apprentice and the employer will be required by FPDI.
The list of groups where the additional $5,000 applies includes:
- persons with disabilities,
- Indigenous people,
- Members of the LGBTQ2+ communities,
- newcomers, and
- visible minorities.